Recipe: Black Bean Burrito Bowl
Don’t know what to cook for “Meatless Monday”? Try this Black Bean Burrito Bowl! Packing 19g of protein, 17g of fibre and under 600kcal/serving makes this Tex Mex inspired dish a real winner!
Ingredients (Serves 3)
- 1 cup Brown Rice (Raw)
- 2 tbsps Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 stalks Green Onion (Chopped for garnish)
- 1 Sweet Onion (Diced)
- 4 Garlic (Minced)
- 1 Tomato (Diced)
- 1 tsp Chili Powder
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Oregano
- 1/4 tsp Cayenne Pepper (Optional)
- 2 1/2 tbsps Tomato Paste
- 14 ozs Black Beans (Drained, rinsed)
- 1/2 cup Cilantro (Chopped, stems removed)
- Cook rice according to package directions.
- Prepare spicy black beans: in a large skillet, heat olive oil until fragrant; add onions and garlic with a pinch of salt and cook until soft, about 5-6 minutes on medium heat.
- Stir in chopped tomatoes and spices along with a pinch of salt and cook for another 5 minutes until tomatoes are softened.
- Stir in tomato paste and drained black beans and cook for a few minutes until warmed throughout. Taste and add salt as needed.
- Stir in cilantro and serve warmed over cooked rice.
- Optional Add-ins: Sliced avocado, low-sodium salsa, Tex-Mex cheese, fresh lime wedge for serving
- Substitutions: Sub quinoa for rice or serve in a whole-grain tortilla for a burrito. Opt-out the grains for roasted sweet potato.
Enjoy! And make sure to share your healthy recipes by tagging @tidalcrossfit #tidalnutrition.